Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Question 3

3) Kincaid writes that "the idea of something and its reality are often two completely different things...and so when they meet and find that they are not compatible, the weaker of the two, idea or reality, dies."  Can you recall instances in your own life when your idea of something collided with its reality?  In an essay explore the validity of Kincaid's statement.



Having a mom is something most everyone in the world knows. They are there from the beginning and stay till the end, through thick and thin. Moms are supposed to be the rock in your life that keep you on your feet.  
When you think of a mom you picture someone to get you up in the morning and make you breakfast. The person to do your hair then take you to school every morning, and make you a snack when you get home. A mom is supposed to help you with you boy problems, and help you pick out your prom dress. They are supposed to tell you to clean your room then cave-in when you ask them to help you. Mothers are supposed to juggle all their responsibilities for you and still be able to have time for themselves. Be able to go through the day , and in the end with a smile on their face, be ready to start the next day with their children.
From the age of 1 to 9 that’s exactly what I thought about my mom. She was my best friend, the one person I could talk to, would help me with my homework, lay with me at night until I fell asleep. But to write this… I had to look up what a “mothers duties” are. All my life I thought that my mom would always take care of me, not the other way around.
Alcoholism is a disease, one that was unfortunately passed on to my mom, from my grandpa. It controlled my moms life, and made my childhood, not as I expected. Taking care of someone that was supposed to take car of you wears you out. I had to go through the day, and in the end with hurt and anger, be ready for the next day. This time in my life made me learn life doesn’t always give you what you want or imagine. 

1 comment:

  1. Polly - outstanding essay. It's part definition, part narrative. You need to keep this one for scholarships and college essays. You may want to expand on it for the personal narrative for AP (or not - you can explore something else). Not, that you have to use it, but it is the best thing you have ever written. It's honest, and it's brave.

    ReplyDelete